Senator James Sturch
(Download High-Res Photo)
- District: 19
- Seniority: 29
- District Address: P.O. Box 2391, Batesville, 72503
- Phone: (870) 612-7589
- Email: email@example.com
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Social Studies Teacher
- Legislative Service: Senate 2019, 2021
House 2015, 2017
Senator James Sturch, a lifelong resident of Independence County, is currently serving as the State Senator for District 19 in the Arkansas State Senate. He represents Independence, Izard, Sharp, and parts of Fulton and Randolph counties. District 19 includes the cities of Batesville, Cave City, Melbourne, Ash Flat, Mammoth Spring and Cherokee Village. Senator Sturch is the vice chair of Senate Rules committee and vice chair of Legislative Joint Auditing - Educational Institutions Subcommittee.
Senator Sturch has a degree in secondary education which helps him with legislation that comes before the Senate Education Committee. He is also a member of the Senate Agriculture, Forestry and Economic Development Committee, Legislative Joint Auditing Committee and serves on several subcommittees.
For the 92nd and 93rd general sessions, Senator Sturch sponsored bills that amend the Arkansas code concerning ethical violations by Arkansas Educators, create the Arkansas Concurrent Challenge Scholarship and to create the Early Childhood Education Workforce Quality Incentive Act.
He was first elected in 2014 as State Representative for District 63. In the 90th General Assembly, he quickly earned a reputation for being a hard worker. Senator Sturch’s willingness to work with other legislators to find ways to improve the quality of life for Arkansans garnered respect from colleagues on both sides of the political spectrum. He was re-elected in 2016 for the 91st General Assembly where he served on the House Education committee and the House State Agencies committee. Whether it is improving our schools, reforming the tax code or opening our state for business, Senator Sturch has helped move our community and our state forward, by expanding opportunities for all hard-working Arkansans.
Sturch is a certified high school social studies teacher and completed his master’s degree in Public Administration. Sturch has a passion for public service that began at a young age, when he first volunteered for a state gubernatorial campaign nearly 20 years ago.
Sturch continues to volunteer for a number of organizations that promote civic engagement and public service for all ages. He currently serves as an active member of the Batesville Kiwanis Club.
Sturch is a graduate of Southside High School and the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, where he earned his undergraduate and graduate degrees. Senator Sturch and his wife Macy reside in Batesville, AR and they attend Locust Grove Missionary Baptist Church.
- Chair: LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING-EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS
- Vice-Chair: SENATE RULES, RESOLUTIONS & MEMORIALS
- ALC-MEDICAL MARIJUANA OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- JBC-PEER REVIEW
- ALC-GAME & FISH/STATE POLICE
- ALC-HIGHER EDUCATION SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-HOSPITAL AND MEDICAID STUDY SUBCOMMITTEE
- COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE - SENATE
- ARKANSAS LEGISLATIVE ARTS AND TECHNOLOGY BOOT CAMP
- JBC-ADMINISTRATIVE RULE REVIEW SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-CLAIMS REVIEW/LITIGATION REPORTS OVERSIGHT
- ALC-EXECUTIVE SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-ADMINISTRATIVE RULES
- ALC-POLICY MAKING
- ALC-LOTTERY OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-HIGHWAY COMMISSION REVIEW AND ADVISORY SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-ARKANSAS HEALTH INSURANCE MARKETPLACE OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-OCCUPATIONAL LICENSING REVIEW SUBCOMMITTEE
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING - EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- ARKANSAS LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL (ALC)
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE
- EDUCATION COMMITTEE - SENATE
- AGRICULTURE, FORESTRY & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT - SENATE
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING
Senator James Sturch
For even more member and bill details.
Senate District 19 Map