Senator James Sturch
(Download High-Res Photo)
- District: 19
- Seniority: 27
- District Address: P.O. Box 2391, Batesville, 72503
- Phone: (870) 612-7589
- Email: email@example.com
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Social Studies Teacher
- Legislative Service: Senate 2019, 2021
House 2015, 2017
Senator James Sturch, a lifelong resident of Independence County, is currently serving as the State Senator for District 19 in the Arkansas State Senate.
He represents Independence, Izard, Sharp, and parts of Fulton and Randolph counties. Senator Sturch is the chairman of the Senate Rules, Resolutions & Memorials Committee and vice chair of Legislative Joint Auditing - Educational Institutions Subcommittee.
Senator Sturch was trained in secondary education and is a certified social studies teacher which helps him with legislation that comes before the Senate Education Committee. He is also a member of the Senate Agriculture, Forestry and Economic Development Committee.
For the 92nd and 93rd general sessions, Senator Sturch sponsored bills that strengthened the Arkansas code concerning ethical violations by Arkansas Educators, created the Arkansas Concurrent Challenge Scholarship and proposed a bill to create the Early Childhood Education Workforce Quality Incentive Act. He was first elected in 2014 as State Representative for District 63. At age 24, he was the youngest member of the General Assembly. In the 90th General Assembly, he quickly earned a reputation for being a hard worker. His willingness to work with other legislators to find ways to improve the quality of life for Arkansans garnered respect from colleagues on both sides of the political aisle. He was re-elected in 2016 for the 91st General Assembly where he served on the House Education committee and the House State Agencies committee.
In 2018, Sturch was elected State Senator by an overwhelming majority of 73% of the general election vote. At 28, Sturch was the youngest State Senator and one of the youngest in Arkansas history. Whether it is improving our schools, reforming the tax code, or promoting economic development for the state, Senator Sturch has helped moved Arkansas forward by expanding opportunities for all hard-working Arkansans.
Sturch has a passion for public service that began at a young age, when he first volunteered for a state gubernatorial campaign nearly 20 years ago. Sturch continues to volunteer for a number of organizations that promote civic engagement and public service for all ages. He currently serves as a board member for the Batesville Kiwanis Club. He also teaches an adult Sunday school class at Locust Grove Missionary Baptist Church.
Sturch is a graduate of Southside High School and the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, where he earned his undergraduate degree in political science and graduate degree in public administration. Senator Sturch and his wife Macy reside in Batesville, Arkansas.
- Chair: LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING-EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS, SENATE RULES, RESOLUTIONS & MEMORIALS
- COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE - SENATE
- ARKANSAS LEGISLATIVE ARTS AND TECHNOLOGY BOOT CAMP
- JBC-PEER REVIEW
- ALC-ARKANSAS HEALTH INSURANCE MARKETPLACE OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-OCCUPATIONAL LICENSING REVIEW SUBCOMMITTEE
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING - EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- ALC-JBC BUDGET HEARINGS
- ALC-JBC PERSONNEL
- ALC-JBC SPECIAL LANGUAGE
- JBC-ADMINISTRATIVE RULE REVIEW SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-MEDICAL MARIJUANA OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-EXECUTIVE SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-ADMINISTRATIVE RULES
- ALC-HIGHWAY COMMISSION REVIEW AND ADVISORY SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-CLAIMS REVIEW/LITIGATION REPORTS OVERSIGHT
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE - PRE-FISCAL SESSION BUDGET HEARINGS
- ALC-GAME & FISH/STATE POLICE
- ALC-HIGHER EDUCATION SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-HOSPITAL AND MEDICAID STUDY SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-EMPLOYEE BENEFITS DIVISION OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-POLICY MAKING
- ALC-LOTTERY OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- EDUCATION COMMITTEE - SENATE
- AGRICULTURE, FORESTRY & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT - SENATE
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING
- ARKANSAS LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL (ALC)
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE
Senator James Sturch
For even more member and bill details.
Senate District 19 Map