Senator Jim Hendren
(Download High-Res Photo)
- District: 2
- Seniority: 14
- District Address: 1607 Highway 72, S.E., Gravette, 72736
- Phone: 479-787-6222
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Party: Independent
- Occupation: Owner, Hendren Plastics, Inc.
- Veteran: Air Force, Missouri Air National Guard, 157 Air Operations Group in St. Louis
- Legislative Service: Senate 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019
House 1995, 1997, 1999
Senator Jim Hendren of Gravette represents Senate District 2. The district includes parts of Benton and western Washington Counties. He was elected to the Senate in 2012 and took the oath of office on the first day of the 2013 session.
Senator Hendren is chair of the Senate Insurance and Commerce Committee. He is a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Joint Performance Review Committee and Senate Interim Committee on Children and Youth. Senator Hendren is a member of Joint Budget Committee, Arkansas Legislative Council and Legislative Joint Auditing Committee and sub-committees.
During the 92nd General Session, Senator Hendren was President Pro Tempore. His legislation in the 92nd General Session raised fines on ethics violations, to increase the Homestead Property Tax Credit and to reform the sales, income, property and franchise tax laws. He co-sponsored a wide variety of bills that became Acts during the General Session. He also co-sponsored several different Senate and House Resolutions.
He was elected to the House of Representatives in 1994 and served three terms.
Throughout Senator Hendren time with the General Assembly he has sponsored legislation to reduce government spending and limit government regulatory authority. He supported bills to lower taxes and to protect life.
Senator Hendren served on the Gravette School Board for 15 years. He graduated from Gravette High School in 1981 and all four of his children also received their High School Diplomas from Gravette. Senator Hendren received his Bachelor of Science in electrical Engineering from the University of Arkansas in three years.
The same year he joined the United States Air Force, where he served eight years as an F-15 fighter pilot. After September 11, 2001, Hendren returned to military service through the Missouri Air National Guard. He retired as a Colonel from the Arkansas National Air Guard in December 2019. Before he retired from the Air National Guard, he was able to be his son’s co-pilot who is fighter pilot just like Senator Hendren. He is the owner of Hendren Plastics, Inc.,
Senator Hendren has been active in several organizations:
- Kiwanis Club, past president and current member
- Lifetime member of the American Legion, and
- Veteran’s Airlift Command
Senator Hendren and his wife of over 25 years, Tammy, have three sons and one daughter. He attends church with his wife at Heritage Baptist.
- Vice-Chair: ALC-PERSONNEL, ALC-OCCUPATIONAL LICENSING REVIEW SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-CHARITABLE, PENAL, AND CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTIONS
- ALC-JBC PERSONNEL
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING-STATE AGENCIES
- JBC-ADMINISTRATIVE RULE REVIEW SUBCOMMITTEE
- CITY, COUNTY & LOCAL AFFAIRS COMMITTEE - SENATE
- JUDICIARY COMMITTEE - SENATE
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING
- JOINT PERFORMANCE REVIEW - SENATE
- JOINT PERFORMANCE REVIEW (JPR)
- ARKANSAS LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL (ALC)
- ALC-HIGHWAY COMMISSION REVIEW AND ADVISORY SUBCOMMITTEE
- CHILDREN AND YOUTH COMMITTEE - SENATE
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE
Senator Jim Hendren
For even more member and bill details.
Senate District 2 Map