Senator Jim Hendren
(Download High-Res Photo)
- District: 2
- Seniority: 13
- District Address: 1607 Highway 72, S.E., Gravette, 72736
- Phone: 479-787-6222
- Email: email@example.com
- Party: Independent
- Occupation: Owner, Hendren Plastics, Inc.
- Veteran: Air Force, Missouri Air National Guard, 157 Air Operations Group in St. Louis
- Legislative Service: Senate 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019
House 1995, 1997, 1999
Senator Jim Hendren of Gravette represents Senate District 2. The district includes parts of Benton and Washington Counties. He was elected to the Senate in 2012 and took the oath of office on the first day of the 2013 session.
Senator Hendren is vice chair of Legislative Council’s Personnel Subcommittee and its Occupational Licensing Review Subcommittee. He is a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, the Senate City, County and Local Affairs Committee, the Joint Performance Review Committee and the Senate Interim Committee on Children and Youth. Senator Hendren is a member of the Joint Budget Committee, the Legislative Council and the Legislative Joint Auditing Committee.
During the 2021 legislative session Senator Hendren co-sponsored bills to benefit military families and children in foster care. He co-sponsored legislation to increase the penalties for fleeing in a vehicle, and to require teaching about the Holocaust in public schools.
He was a co-sponsor of Act 154 to exempt from state income taxes any unemployment benefits people received because they lost their jobs during the pandemic. It will save Arkansas families $59 million.
Senator Hendren was elected by his colleagues to be President Pro Tempore during the 92nd General Assembly.
In previous legislative sessions, he has successfully supported acts that raised fines on ethics violations, increased the Homestead Property Tax Credit and reformed sales, income, property and franchise taxes.
He was elected to the House of Representatives in 1994 and served three terms.
His agenda has consistently included legislation to reduce government spending and to limit government regulatory authority. Also, he has been a supporter of pro-life legislation to lower taxes.
Senator Hendren served on the Gravette School Board for 15 years. He graduated from Gravette High School in 1981 and all four of his children earned their high school diplomas from Gravette High School.
Senator Hendren earned a Bachelor of Science in electrical Engineering from the University of Arkansas in three years.
He joined the United States Air Force and for eight years was an F-15 fighter pilot. After September 11, 2001, Hendren returned to military service in the Missouri Air National Guard. He retired as a Colonel from the Arkansas National Air Guard in December 2019. Before his retirement from the Air National Guard he was able to co-pilot a fighter jet with his son, who is also fighter pilot.
Senator Hendren is owner of Hendren Plastics, Inc.
He has been active in several organizations:
- Kiwanis Club, past president and current member
- Lifetime member of the American Legion, and
- Veteran’s Airlift Command
Senator Hendren and his wife of over 25 years, Tammy, have three sons and one daughter. He and his wife attend Heritage Baptist.
- Vice-Chair: ALC-OCCUPATIONAL LICENSING REVIEW SUBCOMMITTEE, ALC-PERSONNEL
- COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE - SENATE
- JBC-ADMINISTRATIVE RULE REVIEW SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-JBC BUDGET HEARINGS
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE - PRE-FISCAL SESSION BUDGET HEARINGS
- CITY, COUNTY & LOCAL AFFAIRS COMMITTEE - SENATE
- ARKANSAS LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL (ALC)
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING-STATE AGENCIES
- ALC-MEDICAL MARIJUANA OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-CLAIMS REVIEW/LITIGATION REPORTS OVERSIGHT
- ALC-CHARITABLE, PENAL, AND CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTIONS
- JUDICIARY COMMITTEE - SENATE
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING
- JOINT PERFORMANCE REVIEW - SENATE
- JOINT PERFORMANCE REVIEW (JPR)
- CHILDREN AND YOUTH COMMITTEE - SENATE
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE
- ALC-HIGHWAY COMMISSION REVIEW AND ADVISORY SUBCOMMITTEE
Senator Jim Hendren
For even more member and bill details.
Senate District 2 Map