Senator John Cooper
(Download High-Res Photo)
- District: 21
- Seniority: 20
- District Address: P.O. Box 16801, Jonesboro, 72404
- Phone: 870-761-0130
- Email: email@example.com
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Retired
- Veteran: Army
- Legislative Service: Senate 2014, 2015, 2017
Senator John Cooper retired after 35 years of service with AT&T. During that time the network transitioned from the mechanical age to electronic switching, digital carriers and fiber optic facilities. He managed many of those cut overs at the Jonesboro office. He held a first class FCC license.
Senator Cooper is a Vietnam era veteran. He enlisted in the Army in 1966 and was assigned to Germany, where he worked in communications after receiving extensive military electronics training.
His experience in large and small business helps keep him up to date on developing issues. He and his wife, Sue, have two children and four grandchildren.
He has been an ordained Baptist Minister since 1989 and has been pastor of several churches. He often traveled to church functions where he participated in ordinations and was the invited speaker.
His hobbies include reading, researching issues, studying the Bible, and playing chess on line against national and international competition. He has been rated in the top ten percent of active players on an Internet web site with a rating of over 1600.
After high school he studied in the military, in corporate sphere and also is self-taught. He doesn’t watch many movies or much television.
Senator Cooper is chairman of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Forestry and Economic Development, and a member of the Senate Judiciary committee. He also serves on the Joint Budget Committee, Joint Performance Review and Legislative Joint Audit.
- Chair: JBC-PERSONNEL, LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING-COUNTIES AND MUNICIPALITIES, AGRICULTURE, FORESTRY & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT - SENATE
- ALC-ARKANSAS HEALTH INSURANCE MARKETPLACE OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-DATA-SHARING AND DATA-DRIVEN DECISION-MAKING SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-JBC BUDGET HEARINGS
- JOINT PERFORMANCE REVIEW - HOUSE
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE
- JOINT PERFORMANCE REVIEW (JPR)
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE - PRE-FISCAL SESSION BUDGET HEARINGS
- ALC-LOTTERY OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-POLICY MAKING
- JOINT PERFORMANCE REVIEW - SENATE
- CHILDREN AND YOUTH COMMITTEE - SENATE
- ARKANSAS LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL (ALC)
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING - EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- JUDICIARY COMMITTEE - SENATE
Senator John Cooper
For even more member and bill details.
Senate District 21 Map