Senator Mathew Pitsch
(Download High-Res Photo)
- District: 8
- Seniority: 28
- District Address: 6908 Hunter Crossing Drive, Fort Smith, 72916
- Phone: (479) 883-2072
- Email: email@example.com
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Engineer / Business Owner
- Legislative Service: Senate 2019, 2021
Senator Mathew Pitsch is serving his first term in the Arkansas Senate. He represents Senate District 8 which covers part of Sebastian County including Greenwood and part of Fort Smith. For the 93rd General Assembly, Senator Pitsch is serving as the Senate Majority Whip.
Senator Pitsch serves as chair of Senate Insurance and Commerce Committee and is the vice chair for the Senate Transportation, Technology and Legislative Affairs Committee. He is member on the Senate Efficiency Committee. He is also a member of the Arkansas Legislative Council and Legislative Joint Auditing Committee and serves on several subcommittees.
During the 2019 regular session, Senator Pitsch sponsored several bills to make government more efficient by eliminating obsolete government entities and repealing unnecessary duplication in regulations. He sponsored legislation to strengthen prohibitions against using hand-held cell phones in school zones. Senator Pitsch also sponsored a series of bills on voting procedures, in order to modernize and protect the fairness of election and to ensure that all voters are U.S. citizens.
Also, Senator Pitsch was the Senate sponsor of Act 376 of 2019, which changes procedures for citizens’ groups to follow when they try to get a ballot issue approved. The attorney general will no longer approve the ballot title and popular name. That will be done by the state Board of Election Commissioners.
For the 92nd General Assembly, Senator Pitsch served as co-chair of the Legislative Joint Auditing – Educational Institutions Subcommittee and vice chair for the Senate Committee on Children and Youth. Previously, he served two terms in the Arkansas House of Representatives from 2015 to 2018. He was vice chair of ALC-Game and Fish / State Police Subcommittee and vice chair of ALC-Lottery Oversight Subcommittee and chair of the House Subcommittee on Small Business and Economic Development.
He earned his B.S. and M.S. in electrical engineering management from the University of Missouri in Rolla in 1985 and 1986, respectively. Senator Pitsch’s professional experience includes being executive director of Western Arkansas Intermodal Authority, dean of the college of Applied Science and Technology at the University of Arkansas Fort Smith, vice-president for economic development for the Greater Fort Smith Regional Chamber of Commerce and chairman of the board of the Arkansas-Oklahoma Regional Education and Promotion Association.
Senator Pitsch was born in Buffalo, Wyoming. He is married to Seanna and has four children, two daughters and two sons. He is a member of the Lutheran church.
- Chair: INSURANCE & COMMERCE - SENATE
- Vice-Chair: ALC-REVIEW, ALC-LOTTERY OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE, LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING-STATE AGENCIES, TRANSPORTATION, TECHNOLOGY & LEGISLATIVE AFFAIRS - SENATE, ADVANCED COMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY - JOINT
- COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE - SENATE
- ALC-HOSPITAL AND MEDICAID STUDY SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-EMPLOYEE BENEFITS DIVISION OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- SENATE ETHICS COMMITTEE
- ALC-JBC BUDGET HEARINGS
- ALC-HIGHER EDUCATION SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-ARKANSAS HEALTH INSURANCE MARKETPLACE OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE - PRE-FISCAL SESSION BUDGET HEARINGS
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING
- JBC-ADMINISTRATIVE RULE REVIEW SUBCOMMITTEE
- ARKANSAS LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL (ALC)
- SENATE EFFICIENCY
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE
- JBC-SPECIAL LANGUAGE
Senator Mathew Pitsch
For even more member and bill details.
Senate District 8 Map