Senator Bart Hester
(Download High-Res Photo)
- District: 1
- Seniority: 16
- District Address: P.O. Box 85, Cave Springs, 72718
- Phone: 479-531-4176
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Real Estate and Construction
- Legislative Service: Senate 2013, 2015, 2017
Senator Bart Hester of Cave Springs represents Senate District 1, which includes parts of Benton and Washington Counties. Senator Hester was elected to the Senate in 2012 and took the oath of office on the first day of the 2013 session.
Senator Hester is the chair of the Senate Efficiency Committee and a member of the Senate Public Health, Welfare and Labor Committee and the Senate State Agencies and Governmental Affairs. He is a member of the Senate Interim Committee on Children and Youth, the Joint Budget Committee and the Legislative Council. Senator Hester is the Senate co-chair of the Joint Budget Committee’s Special Language Subcommittee and chair of the Council’s Claims Review/Litigation Reports Oversight Subcommittee.
Senator Hester believes in holding down the size of government and reducing government debt. He has been a consistent sponsor of legislation to lower taxes and reduce regulatory burdens on business. Also, his legislative priorities include bills to improve foster care and adoption services.
In 2021 Senator Hester co-sponsored legislation that requires public schools to teach about the Holocaust. Other bills amend eligibility for scholarships and change the process of getting a driver’s permit. Senator Hester co-sponsored bills on public health directives and property rights.
In 2017 and 2019, Senator Hester was the Senate Majority Whip and Senate Majority Leader respectively. In 2017, he co-sponsored legislation to provide $50 million in income tax relief to lower-income families. In 2015, he co-sponsored legislation to provide $100 million in income tax relief to middle class Arkansas families.
A native of Conway, he is a 2001 graduate of the Sam Walton College of Business at the University of Arkansas with a bachelor's degree in Business Management. While working on his degree in Fayetteville, he lettered for three years for the Razorbacks’ varsity baseball team. Senator Hester has been active in the University of Arkansas Letterman’s “A” Club and National Rifle Association. His business interests are in real estate and construction. He is also a member of the Arkansas Realtors Association.
He and his wife, Ashley, were named Big Brother Big Sister of the Year for Washington County. Senator Hester and his family are members of the First Baptist Church in Bentonville.
- Chair: ALC-JBC SPECIAL LANGUAGE, ALC-CLAIMS REVIEW/LITIGATION REPORTS OVERSIGHT, SENATE EFFICIENCY, JBC-SPECIAL LANGUAGE
- COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE - SENATE
- ALC-JBC BUDGET HEARINGS
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE - PRE-FISCAL SESSION BUDGET HEARINGS
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING-STATE AGENCIES
- PUBLIC HEALTH - SENATE HUMAN SERVICES SUBCOMMITTEE
- BOYS STATE
- ALC-GAME & FISH/STATE POLICE
- PUBLIC HEALTH, WELFARE AND LABOR COMMITTEE - SENATE
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING
- STATE AGENCIES & GOVT'L AFFAIRS-SENATE
- CHILDREN AND YOUTH COMMITTEE - SENATE
- ALC-POLICY MAKING
- ARKANSAS LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL (ALC)
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE
Senator Bart Hester
For even more member and bill details.
Senate District 1 Map