Senator Jane English
(Download High-Res Photo)
- District: 34
- Seniority: 11
- District Address: 3 Great Oak Court, North Little Rock, 72116
- Phone: 501-257-7670
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Retired Economic Development
- Legislative Service: Senate 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021
House 2009, 2011
Senator Jane English represents Senate District 34, which includes parts of North Little Rock and northern Pulaski County. She was sworn into the state Senate in January of 2013.
Senator English co-chairs the Joint Performance Review Committee and the Legislative Council’s Higher Education Subcommittee.
She serves on the Senate Committee on Education, the Senate Committee on State Agencies and Governmental Affairs, the Senate Committee on Transportation, Technology and Legislative Affairs, the Senate Efficiency Committee, the Joint Budget Committee and the Legislative Council. She is vice chair of the Joint Budget Special Language Subcommittee.
Senator English was chair of the Senate Education Committee from 2015 through 2020.
Senator English served two terms in the House of Representatives, from 2009 through the end of 2012.
In addition to her work to improve education, Senator English is known for sponsoring legislation benefit military veterans and to promote economic development. She was responsible for a major restructuring of the state’s job training and adult education system, to give local business leaders more of a voice in the types of classes offered to students.
Senator English was in the group of legislators who pushed for a new nursing home for veterans in North Little Rock, after the previous facility in Little Rock was closed.
A native of Lincoln, Nebraska, Senator English graduated from Arkansas Tech University with a bachelor’s degree in Economics/Finance. From 1984 to 1997 she was a Senior Project Manager with the Arkansas Economic Development Commission, working to recruit new manufacturing companies and helping existing companies expand.
From 1997 to 1998 she was the executive director of the Fort Chaffee Public Trust. She was the executive director of the Arkansas Manufacturers Association from 1998 to 2001. From 2001 to 2004 she was the executive director of the Arkansas Workforce Investment Board, a Cabinet position under Governor Mike Huckabee. In 2005, she was an economics/workforce advisor to Lieutenant Governor Winthrop Rockefeller.
She has been married for more than 53 years to retired Army Colonel Don English and they have one son and one daughter.
- Chair: ALC-HIGHER EDUCATION SUBCOMMITTEE, JOINT PERFORMANCE REVIEW - SENATE
- Co-Chair: JOINT PERFORMANCE REVIEW (JPR)
- Vice-Chair: JBC-SPECIAL LANGUAGE
- JBC-ADMINISTRATIVE RULE REVIEW SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-MEDICAL MARIJUANA OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-POLICY MAKING
- ALC-LOTTERY OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING-COUNTIES AND MUNICIPALITIES
- COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE - SENATE
- STATE AGENCIES & GOVT'L AFFAIRS-SENATE
- TRANSPORTATION, TECHNOLOGY & LEGISLATIVE AFFAIRS - SENATE
- ADVANCED COMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY - JOINT
- ALC-ADMINISTRATIVE RULES
- EDUCATION COMMITTEE - SENATE
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING
- SENATE EFFICIENCY
- ARKANSAS LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL (ALC)
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE
Senator Jane English
For even more member and bill details.
Senate District 34 Map