Senator John Payton
Senator John Payton was elected to the Senate in 2022 and was sworn in on January 9, 2023. He represents District 22, which includes Independence and Sharp Counties and parts of Cleburne, Fulton, Lawrence and Izard Counties
Senator Payton is the Senate co-chair of the Joint Retirement and Social Security Programs Committee and vice co-chair of the Charitable, Penal and Correctional Institutions Subcommittee. He is a member of the Senate Revenue and Taxation Committee, the Senate State Agencies and Governmental Affairs Committee, the Joint Budget Committee, the Arkansas Legislative Council, the Legislative Joint Auditing Committee, the Game and Fish / State Police Subcommittee, the Highway Commission Review and Advisory Subcommittee, the Medical Marijuana Oversight Subcommittee and the Review Subcommittee.
Senator Payton served in the House of Representatives from 2013 through 2022. As a House member he served on the Joint Budget Committee, the Joint Performance Review (JPR) Committee, the House State Agencies and Governmental Affairs Committee and the House Public Health, Welfare and Labor Committee. Senator Payton was the House Majority Party Whip for the 93rd General Assembly.
In 2021 he sponsored legislation to reduce sales and use taxes for certain used motor vehicles, trailers and semitrailers. He also sponsored legislation to amend laws concerning a residential contractor’s lien notice requirement and to allow the operation of golf carts on certain county roads
Senator Payton attended Missouri Auction School and became an auctioneer. He owns two auto auctions and two used auto dealerships. Senator Payton raises cattle on his family farm in Wilborn.
- Co-Chair: PUBLIC RETIREMENT & SOCIAL SECURITY PROGRAMS-JOINT
- Vice-Chair: LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING, ALC-CHARITABLE, PENAL, AND CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTIONS, LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING - EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE, JBC-CLAIMS
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE - PRE-FISCAL SESSION BUDGET HEARINGS
- ARKANSAS LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL (ALC)
- ALC-GAME & FISH/STATE POLICE
- ALC-HIGHWAY COMMISSION REVIEW AND ADVISORY SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-MEDICAL MARIJUANA OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE
- REVENUE & TAX - SENATE
- STATE AGENCIES & GOVT'L AFFAIRS-SENATE
Senator John Payton
For even more member and bill details.
Senate District 22 Map