Senator Mark Johnson
(Download High-Res Photo)
- District: 17
- Seniority: 16
- District Address: P.O. Box 241022, Little Rock, 72223
- Phone: (501) 682-2920
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Business Consultant, Mark D. Johnson & Associates, Inc.
- Legislative Service: Senate 2019, 2021
Senator Mark Johnson was elected in 2018 and was sworn in on the first day of session in January 2019. He represents District 17, which includes Conway, Mayflower parts of Faulkner County and parts of northwest Pulaski County.
Senator Johnson is the chair of the Senate Transportation, Technology and Legislative Affairs Committee and vice co-chair of the Policy-Making Subcommittee. He is also a member of the Senate Insurance and Commerce Committee, the Joint Energy Committee, the Joint Retirement and Social Security Committee, the Joint Budget Committee, the Arkansas Legislative Council, the Legislative Joint Auditing Committee, the Charitable, Penal and Correctional Institutions Subcommittee and the Medical Marijuana Oversight Subcommittee.
During the 2021 regular session Senator Johnson sponsored legislation to establish the electric vehicle infrastructure fund.
Senator Johnson was the lead sponsor on the Arkansas State Capitol and Historical Monument Protection Act, which prohibits state agencies and local governments from removing monuments without approval from the Arkansas History Commission.
He co-sponsored bills reforming election and campaign finance laws, such as legislation that clarifies the duties of county employees and campaign finance reports that must be filed by candidates and elected officials.
He also sponsored Act 898 of 2021 that allows current or past mayors that served at least five years to perform marriage ceremonies.
In 2019 he sponsored legislation to protect the freedom of expression of college students who contribute to school-sponsored journals and periodicals. He also sponsored legislation to expand charter schools and enhance school choice. In 2019 Senator Johnson mentored during Boys State.
A native of Crossett, he graduated from Conway High School and Hendrix College. Senator Johnson started his public career after college by joining former Congressman Wilbur Mills staff in Washington, D.C.
He then worked for the Small Business Administration and the City of North Little Rock. Senator Johnson served in the cabinet of former Governor Frank White, then moved into the private sector to be an advisor to businesses, cities and organizations on fundraising.
Senator Johnson is a member of the Little Rock Rotary Club. He has served as chair of the Pulaski County Republican Committee and is currently the President of the Arkansas Republican County Chairmen’s Association. Senator Johnson and his wife, Catherine, have been married for over 45 years and they have two grown daughters.
- Chair: TRANSPORTATION, TECHNOLOGY & LEGISLATIVE AFFAIRS - SENATE
- Co-Chair: ADVANCED COMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY - JOINT, LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING-COUNTIES AND MUNICIPALITIES
- Vice-Chair: ALC-POLICY MAKING
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE - PRE-FISCAL SESSION BUDGET HEARINGS
- ALC-CHARITABLE, PENAL, AND CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTIONS
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING - EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- ARKANSAS LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL (ALC)
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING
- ALC-MEDICAL MARIJUANA OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- INSURANCE & COMMERCE - SENATE
- ENERGY - JOINT
- PUBLIC RETIREMENT & SOCIAL SECURITY PROGRAMS-JOINT
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE
Senator Mark Johnson
For even more member and bill details.
Senate District 17 Map