Senator Terry Rice
(Download High-Res Photo)
- District: 5
- Seniority: 11
- District Address: P.O. Box 2195, Waldron, 72958
- Phone: 479-637-3100
- Email: Terry.Rice@senate.ar.gov
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Business Owner, Rice Furniture & Appliance, Inc.
- Legislative Service: Senate 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021
House 2009, 2011, 2013
Senator Terry Rice represents Senate District 5, which comprises Montgomery, Perry, Polk and Scott Counties and parts of Conway, Logan, Pike, Pope, Sebastian and Yell Counties. He was elected to the Senate in 2014.
Senator Rice is Senate Co-Chair of the Arkansas Legislative Council (ALC) and he served in the same roll during the 93rd General Assembly.
Senator Rice is a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, the Senate City, County and Local Affairs Committee and the Senate Transportation, Technology and Legislative Affairs Committee. He serves on the Joint Budget Committee and the Joint Performance Review Committee (JPR).
Senator Rice’s legislative priorities include juvenile justice and foster care. He has sponsored legislation to update the protections in state law against the unlawful use of unmanned aircraft over critical infrastructure. Also, he has sponsored legislation to prohibit public funding of human cloning research.
Senator Rice served in the Arkansas House of Representatives from 2009 to 2014. As a House member he was chair of the Joint Performance Review (JPR) and vice chair of ALC and on its Executive Subcommittee. He sponsored legislation regarding a mental health examination of a defendant and to amend the Child Welfare Agency Licensing Act. He co-sponsored Paul’s Law – to make texting illegal while driving, to amend Arkansas Law concerning charitable bingo and raffles, as well as prolife and election voter fraud laws.
Senator Rice is the longtime co-owner of Rice Furniture in Waldron and a retired cattle farmer. He is president of two Rice Furniture & Appliance Stores. He is a past president of the Arkansas Home Furnishings Association and has served on the southeast region board of Associated Volume Buyers/Brand Source National Dealer Group. He has received regional and state recognition for his professional accomplishments including Dealer of the Year from various industry associates.
Senator Rice was born in Fort Smith. He and his wife JoAnn have been married for more than 50 years, and have two sons and four grandchildren. They are members of Bates Baptist Church. Senator Rice’s father and grandfather also served in the Arkansas Legislature.
- Co-Chair: ALC-EXECUTIVE SUBCOMMITTEE, ARKANSAS LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL (ALC)
- Vice-Chair: CITY, COUNTY & LOCAL AFFAIRS COMMITTEE - SENATE
- ADVANCED COMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY - JOINT
- ALC-ADMINISTRATIVE RULES
- ALC-CHARITABLE, PENAL, AND CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTIONS
- ALC-CLAIMS REVIEW/LITIGATION REPORTS OVERSIGHT
- ALC-EMPLOYEE BENEFITS DIVISION OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE - PRE-FISCAL SESSION BUDGET HEARINGS
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING-STATE AGENCIES
- JBC-SPECIAL LANGUAGE
- ALC-GAME & FISH/STATE POLICE
- ALC-HIGHER EDUCATION SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-HIGHWAY COMMISSION REVIEW AND ADVISORY SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-HOSPITAL AND MEDICAID STUDY SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-LOTTERY OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-MEDICAL MARIJUANA OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- JUDICIARY COMMITTEE - SENATE
- TRANSPORTATION, TECHNOLOGY & LEGISLATIVE AFFAIRS - SENATE
- ALC-OCCUPATIONAL LICENSING REVIEW SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-POLICY MAKING
- JOINT PERFORMANCE REVIEW (JPR)
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE
- JBC-ADMINISTRATIVE RULE REVIEW SUBCOMMITTEE
- JOINT PERFORMANCE REVIEW - SENATE
- JBC-EMPLOYEE BENEFITS DIVISION- OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING
Senator Terry Rice
For even more member and bill details.
Senate District 5 Map