Senator Blake Johnson
(Download High-Res Photo)
- District: 20
- Seniority: 20
- District Address: P.O. Box 8, Corning, 72422
- Phone: 870-323-1766
- Email: Blake.Johnson@senate.ar.gov
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Farmer
- Legislative Service: Senate 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021
Senator Blake Johnson of Corning represents District 20, which includes Clay County and parts of Craighead, Greene, Lawrence and Randolph Counties. He was elected to the Arkansas Senate in 2014 and took the oath of office on the first day of the 2015 legislative session.
Senator Johnson is chair of the Senate Committee on Transportation, Technology and Legislative Affairs. He also chairs the Legislative Council Highway Commission Review and Advisory Subcommittee. He is a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, the Joint Performance Review Committee and the Joint Energy Committee. Senator Johnson is on the Joint Budget Committee and the Arkansas Legislative Council.
During the 2021 regular session Senator Johnson sponsored legislation to mandate inspections of abortion facilities and to limit drag racing motor vehicles on a public highway. He was the Senate sponsor of legislation to cut in half the annual registration fee on hybrid vehicles.
In past sessions, Senator Johnson sponsored legislation setting up a pilot program under which welfare recipients undergo testing for illegal drugs, in order to qualify for benefits. He sponsored a change in how the wealth index is calculated for school facilities funding. He was the Senate sponsor of legislation creating the Arkansas Future Grant Program.
Senator Johnson has sponsored “revolving door” legislation that requires legislators to wait at least two years after their retirement from the General Assembly before registering as a lobbyist. The law prohibits former legislators from working at an educational cooperative or local area agency on aging, until two years after they leave the legislature. He has co-sponsored major tax relief legislation, pro-life laws and legislation that reduces the fees for concealed carry permits.
Senator Johnson has sponsored bills affecting public schools, such as creating options for issuing a standard teaching license for nontraditional licensure programs, changing the number of professional development days required for teachers and strengthening background checks for public school teachers and employees.
Senator Johnson is a farmer. Before his election to the Senate, he had served as an alderman in Corning. He was born in Poplar Bluff, Missouri and graduated from Arkansas State University. He and his wife, Tricia, have a son and a daughter. Senator Johnson and his wife are members of the First Baptist Church of Corning.
- Chair: SENATE COMMITTEE ON ENROLLED BILLS, TRANSPORTATION, TECHNOLOGY & LEGISLATIVE AFFAIRS - SENATE, ALC-HIGHWAY COMMISSION REVIEW AND ADVISORY SUBCOMMITTEE
- Co-Chair: ADVANCED COMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY - JOINT
- Vice-Chair: JBC-ADMINISTRATIVE RULE REVIEW SUBCOMMITTEE
- COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE - SENATE
- ARKANSAS LEGISLATIVE ARTS AND TECHNOLOGY BOOT CAMP
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE - PRE-FISCAL SESSION BUDGET HEARINGS
- TASK FORCE ON AUTISM
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING-EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS
- ALC-GAME & FISH/STATE POLICE
- JOINT PERFORMANCE REVIEW - SENATE
- JOINT PERFORMANCE REVIEW (JPR)
- ENERGY - JOINT
- JBC-PEER REVIEW
- JUDICIARY COMMITTEE - SENATE
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING
- ARKANSAS LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL (ALC)
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE
Senator Blake Johnson
For even more member and bill details.
Senate District 20 Map