Senator Kim Hammer
(Download High-Res Photo)
- District: 33
- Seniority: 31
- District Address: 1201 Military Road PMB #285, Benton, 72015
- Phone: (501) 840-3841
- Email: email@example.com
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Chaplain/Pastor, Saline Memorial Hospice
- Legislative Service: Senate 2019, 2021
House 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017
Senator Kim Hammer of Benton was elected to the state Senate in 2018, after serving in the House of Representatives for eight years. He represents Senate District 33, which includes parts of Saline County and southwestern Pulaski County.
Senator Hammer is Senate co-chair of Joint Retirement and Social Security Committee. He is a member of the Senate Committee on Public Health, Welfare and Labor, the Senate City, County and Local Affairs Committee, the Joint Budget Committee and the Legislative Joint Auditing Committee.
In 2021 Senator Hammer sponsored legislation that allowed the legislature more input in policy-making during public health emergencies. He was the lead sponsor for Act 403 of 2021 to empower the legislature to terminate executive orders for a statewide public health emergency.
He co-sponsored a series of bills affecting to move up early voting deadlines, to prevent electioneering within 100 feet of voting sites and to empower the legislature to investigate voting irregularities.
In previous legislative sessions he co-sponsored bills affecting nurses, training of chiropractors, licensure of physical therapists, the prescribing of painkillers and controlled substances, emergency medical treatment, assisted living and palliative care, hospice care, the care and treatment of people with developmental disabilities and Medicaid reimbursements.
He was the Senate sponsor of Act 878 of 2019 and Act 430 of 2021 to provide for insurance coverage for treatment of pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infections, also known as PANDAS, and pediatric acute-onset neuropsychiatric syndrome, referred to as PANS. Senator Hammer is the chair of the PANS/PANDA Advisory Council.
Senator Hammer’s legislative priorities include streamlining the process for registering motor vehicles and renewing drivers’ licenses. His list of accomplishments includes measures on municipal aid and workforce services.
In past sessions, Senator Hammer sponsored legislation to make it easier for nurses to get funds to pay for their doctoral degree, to make foster children eligible for state scholarships and to strengthen the Arkansas Whistle-Blower Act.
Senator Hammer has sponsored bills helping rural fire departments and the state Forestry Commission. He also sponsored bills to help create a program for educating parents about shaken baby syndrome. His legislation amended provisions of Arkansas law on the visitation rights of grandparents.
In 2019 Senator Hammer was the Assistant Pro Tempore for the Second District
Senator Hammer was a member of the House of Representatives from 2011 through 2018.
Senator Hammer is a chaplain and pastor at Saline Memorial Hospice. He and his wife, Karen, have two sons and a daughter. He is a member of Saline Missionary Baptist Church in Tull.
- Chair: GIRLS STATE, ALC-ADMINISTRATIVE RULES, ARKANSAS PANS/PANDAS ADVISORY COUNCIL, PUBLIC HEALTH - SENATE HEALTH SERVICES
- Co-Chair: PUBLIC RETIREMENT & SOCIAL SECURITY PROGRAMS-JOINT
- Vice-Chair: ALC-ARKANSAS HEALTH INSURANCE MARKETPLACE OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE, ALC-EMPLOYEE BENEFITS DIVISION OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE, JBC-PEER REVIEW
- INSURANCE & COMMERCE - SENATE
- COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE - SENATE
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE - PRE-FISCAL SESSION BUDGET HEARINGS
- ALC-CLAIMS REVIEW/LITIGATION REPORTS OVERSIGHT
- ARKANSAS LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL (ALC)
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING-STATE AGENCIES
- ALC-HOSPITAL AND MEDICAID STUDY SUBCOMMITTEE
- ALC-LOTTERY OVERSIGHT SUBCOMMITTEE
- JOINT BUDGET COMMITTEE
- PUBLIC HEALTH, WELFARE AND LABOR COMMITTEE - SENATE
- LEGISLATIVE JOINT AUDITING
Senator Kim Hammer
For even more member and bill details.
Senate District 33 Map